Thursday, August 07, 2008

PR5, episodes 1-3


OK, so last Saturday I finally got caught up on the fifth season of Project Runway. Here were the observations I made following the show. Don't read ahead if you are behind in your PR viewing and you don't want spoilers:

1) Heidi still looks fabulous. I wish I had her pelvic thrust.
2) Sandra Bernhard (whom I love) wasn't looking so good, but I'm glad to hear that she's touring Without You I'm Nothing again. I saw I'm Still Here ... Damn It! on Broadway. That was where Meg Ryan kicked my friend's butt, and I don't mean figuratively--she really did.
3) I continue to have utter faith in Nina Garcia and Michael Kors as judges, and I love Heidi's bluntness, as well. With most reality shows, I don't at all respect the judges (So You Think You Can Dance? is a good example) but these are the real deal. Even when I disagree with them, I respect them.
4) I despise tan-guy (I guess his name is Blayne). He's trying to be Christian (of season four) with the -licious thing, but it's so obviously derivative of Christian's shtick. Christian could be annoying, but he was also talented and entertaining. Tan-dude is neither, as far as I can tell. That diaper outfit was hideous.
5) Suede has got to stop talking about himself in third person. It is going to get real old, real fast. His striped cocktail dress was good, but I wanted tree-grate-woman to win.
6) I was impressed with that dress of coffee filters and vacuum cleaner bags. I'm glad she won.
7) Emily shouldn't have lost the third challenge. Her dress was better than that matronly black number.
8) Holly Golightly goes to a Dali exhibit my ass.
9) I'm fascinated with the gay guy from SLC. His wet magazine dress needed more color, but it was a daring choice. He's going to need to watch his ego, though. He's not as good a designer as he thinks. He is, however, very easy on the eyes. We definitely need some shots of him brushing his teeth in his underwear.
10) Tim Gunn seems a little meaner this time, which is good. He's often too supportive and vague, but I still love and want to be him.
11) Is rocker chick going to be this season's Sweet Pea? The other contestants had no business being annoyed because she was pounding rivets. If you need to pound rivets, you need to pound rivets. Get a set of earplugs if you don't like it. That said, I'm surprised she survived the first challenge. I think it can only be because shower-curtain guy had no evident personality.
12) Champagne makes for a terrific accompaniment to Project Runway. I think I'm going to make this a tradition.

Meanwhile I discovered this wickedly funny and astute blog devoted to Project Runway. Do yourself a favor and spend a few hours reading through it.

No comments: