Saturday, August 23, 2008

PR, episodes 5 & 6


I missed episode 5, so I got caught up this past week and watched 5 and 6 back to back.

Observations:

1.) I'm surprised to be saying this, but Kenley and Joe have trumped Suede and Blayne at being the most annoying contestants.
2.) Brooke Shields looked great, and she was a good client and a good judge. I liked that she was by turns sweet and bitchy. Still, she never did quite articulate what she wanted.
3.) Even though she headed the team that produced the losing outfit, Kelli shouldn't have gotten the boot. It should have been that lazy whiner, Daniel. Kelli was fun, and she wasn't a terrible designer. But she sure made some bad choices with that leopard-print eyes-for-tits dress.
4.) Boy did Terri turn out to have claws. I don't think Suede deserved all that abuse. I mean, why on earth did she make him responsible for that blouse to begin with? He seemed absolutely sincere when he expressed reservations about being able to do it properly, and Terri just kept ripping into him. And what was she doing while Suede was working? Those slacks could not have been that hard to do. Notice how once Tim thought the top was good, Terri fell in love with it. Quote of the evening: "I don't know what he's packing, balls or vajayjay, but he needs to work that out 'cause I ain't got no babies, ain't nobody sucking on my titties. So please, man up."
5.) Kenley's giggling at Daniel was just outright mean. Yes, he's laughable, but pointing and laughing is the audience's job. And in the following episode and in his exit interview, he still seemed to consider her a friend. With friends like those...
6.) I'm really glad that Keith was able to quash Kenley's slew of bad ideas. I loved the look on Tim's face when he picked up Kenley's floral print. I'm not convinced theirs was the best dress, however. In fact, none of those dresses impressed me.
7.) I'm absolutely sick of Joe. I'm tired of him parading his heteronormalcy, his paternity, and his discomfort with queens at every opportunity. His open-mouthed fake perma-smile is nearly as irritating as Kenley's cackle. And he should not have thrown Korto under the bus in front of Tim. I have two words for you, Joe: Wendy. Pepper.
8.) That said, I can see why he won the drag queen challenge. He produced a very appropriate outfit for Varla Jean Merman, and he made her ass look great. I hope this is the only challenge he wins, however. He wins the award for most-annoying-straight-guy contestant on PR.
9.) The guys over at Project RunGay are right: Varla Jean Merman-as-a-man is really hot.
10.) Terri's drag queen outfit was also good--I mean, you have to pull out all the stops for a drag queen whose name is Betty Acid. But Korto's was my favorite. It had glitz, flames, volume, and it was a completely appropriate and flattering look for a big girl like Sweetie.
11.) Blayne's number was boring and poorly constructed. Did the judges not see that broken airplane wing--or whatever it was? It's just a matter of time before Blayne gets the boot. His designs are consistently bad, and he has exhausted his two-note shtick.
12.) It was great to see Chris March again. His feedback in the sewing room was spot on. I still feel he was robbed last season, as I think his outfits were much more interesting than Rami's. I just about laughed myself off the sofa when he and Heidi marched off the runway for German food, and she said, "Pretzels and Be-ah" in a dead-on Schwarzenegger imitation.

1 comment:

thecobrasnose said...

Why would the judges not bust Blayne's chops over an outfit that started to fall apart on the runway? Not even a mention, as I recall. Odd. One can only hope for an even more spectacular fail in the future--near future, I hope.