Monday, January 02, 2006

my stupid laptop

Well, the Hoppin' John tasted good, but I'm not sure it had the desired effect. All evening my laptop has been victim to the formidable blue screen of death. And this problem cycles in a loop, for just as the icons on my desktop begin to appear after starting up my computer, a blue screen with a lot of text--important information, I presume--appears for a split second, and then the computer begins rebooting itself. This loop would go on endlessly if I didn't intervene with the mighty F8 key. It's this sort of behavior that makes me loath Windows and Dell and Intel and anything remotely associated with the PC. I then yearn for an apple computer--like the one that John has and that I'm using to create this very post--a computer with a reputation for working properly, a computer that isn't prone to incessant crashes, a computer that has no idea what a blue screen of death is. And while it is true that I need to send the old lapdog off to its final reward, I can't afford any sort of computer, much less the ever pricey apple brands. I've flirted with going apple before, but whenever I seriously begin to contemplate the change, I just can't get beyond my petit bourgeois sensibilities, and I tell myself that I can get so much more computer for so much less if I stick with wintel. This is an ongoing dilemma; just ask John. But now it's off to pricing ultra-lite laptops with ultra-huge hard drives.

1 comment:

lecram sinun said...

We just got a company laptop from tigerdirect.com - great stuff for only 600 bones. Check them out.