Saturday, July 30, 2005

groovy chair

So John and I are eating breakfast at Al's--Fresno's hands down best breakfast joint--and I mention that I need to get a new office chair: something simple, made of wood. Over his plate of incomparable pancakes, John suggests we hit a thrift store on the way home, and over my plate of exquisite chicken fried steak and eggs, I concur.

We hit a new spot on Cedar--across from the Cedar Lanes bowling alley. I can't remember the name, but I think that the word "Veterans" is part of it. The place is cavernous, crowded, and a little unkempt. The furniture corner is sparsely populated, but then I spy it: the groovy chair. It's modern with a curved, oval shaped back and a woven textile seat. It has a sad sack companion--missing a rail, and sporting some ill-conceived drilled holes in the legs--so I take just the better-preserved specimen and part with a paltry $4.27

Back at home, I hammer some easily-applied, felt-covered gliders into the legs (gotta protect the hardwood floors), and give it a test sit. Lovely. Groovy. I'm grooving in its groove right now.

No comments: