Saturday, March 07, 2009

chelsea and the british museum


On. Jan. I took Robert Wright's walk through Chelsea. I arrived at the the Royal Hospital Chelsea--designed by Christopher Wren and established for the Chelsea pensioners in 1692--at noon, but it was closed to visitors until 2:00 pm. Since I had some time to kill, I wandered over to the Saatchi Gallery, but it was hosting a private event that day. Instead I meandered up and down the King's Road in the rain and found myself a tasty pasty for lunch. Once the hospital opened to visitors, I was able to see the Figure Court, the Chapel, and the Great Hall; then I headed out toward the embankment of the Thames.

Walking through historic Chelsea, I found Thomas Carlyle's home, Henry VIII's Chelsea Manor House, and a the place where Tobias Smollett lived.


The next day, Joyce and I went to the British Museum to catch an exhibition of six contemporary sculptors that was closing soon. Here are a couple of my favorites. Notice the shadows cast by the sculptures--comprised of dead animals--in the second photo:


No comments: