Friday, January 30, 2009

all these years i've been wandering around

Today is the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' Let It Be rooftop concert, so I made a pilgrimage to 3 Savile Row, where The Beatles performed their final concert. As soon as I emerged from the Oxford Circus Tube stop and started walking down Regent Street, I began playing Let It Be on my iPod. I turned off on Mill Street, which essentially becomes Savile Row, and made my way down to number 3. I was a little surprised that I was the only person hanging around outside the building, although two others stopped there. I walked up to them, and we exchanged a few words: "40 years ago today," "yeah, right up there." And then I walked up and down the street, listening to most of the album, and trying to get some worthwhile pictures.


You can check out the Rooftop concert on youtube here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Beatlemoment!

It always pays to do your research before one travels. I've been to London twice. The first time I had my picture taken in front of #....I dunno, #8? Later to find out that Apple was at #3 Saville Row. The next trip I corrected that mistake, but walked all *over* London (and out to Wembley stadium area?) to look for the EMI Abbey Road studios---we found Abbey Close, Abbey Lane....never did find stinkin' "Abbey Road". Good thing Lauri was a good sport.
It gives us a reason to try and go a third time. (Later[back in the USA] I find out it wasn't so very far from the hotel we were at!)

Kids: Do your research *before* the trip.

Captain Whiffle said...

Thank God for Wikipedia, or I'm sure I would have done the same. I thought of you while I was there today. Say "Cheers, Mate!" to Lauri for me.